In this guide, we show you how to buy shares in Upstox and also review Upstox which will help you start your trading journey with Upstox in an informed way.
You can buy shares in Upstox by searching for a stock from the dashboard and clicking on the buy button.
Let’s understand the process in a step-by-step manner.
How to Buy Shares in Upstox
- Log in to the Upstox Pro Web on the browser or open Upstox Pro mobile app.
- Add funds to your Upstox trading account in the fund’s section if funds are insufficient.
- Go to the watchlist, click on the “+” button and search for the desired stock name.
- Click on that stock name and click on the “Buy” button.
- Now provide order details like quantity and order type.
- Click on “Review order”.
- “Confirm” your order.
Upstox is one of the best discount brokers in India for trading purposes because of its low brokerage charges and margin trading facility. Unlike Zerodha, you can do margin trading on equity delivery with a 2x margin on more than 200 stocks.
You can also go through our list of the best discount brokers in India to find out more choices that match your requirements.
Started in 2009 as RKSV Securities, Upstox now has a whopping client base of 1 crore users trusting the platform. Upstox is funded by Ratan Tata and Tiger Global making it a reliable broker among the traders.
Upstox provides a wide range of advanced trading tools, such as in-depth charting, technical indicators, GTT orders, and basket orders.
When it comes to tradable assets Upstox provides access to more than 2000 mutual funds, index funds, and options trading. You can utilize readymade option-trading strategies with Upstox based on market trends.
Upstox Pros and Cons
- No account opening fee
- Discount brokerage capped at Rs. 20
- Offers 3-in-1 account with IndusInd bank
- Backed by Ratan Tata adds a trust
- All your investments are consolidated in one place
- Detailed Charting with 100+ technical indicators
- Invest in 2000+ direct mutual funds with Rs. 0 commission
- Morning newsletter on the market recap
- Stable web & mobile trading platforms
- Charges brokerage on equity delivery
- Average customer support
- High Demat transaction (DP) charges
What Can You Trade on Upstox?
- Stocks – You can take advantage of in-depth market research and low brokerage to invest in Indian stocks.
- Mutual funds – Upstox offers both regular and direct mutual funds. You can choose direct mutual funds from a list of 2000 MFs without paying any commission to Upstox.
- IPO – You can also bid for IPO online and pay the amount using UPI making it a seamless experience.
- Options trading – You can also do currency, commodities, futures and options trading using a wide range of charts and 100+ technical indicators.
When it comes to trading the next thing that comes to mind is brokerage cost and margin availability, let’s discuss that in the next sections.
Upstox Brokerage and Charges
#1. Brokerage Charges
|Tradable Asset||Brokerage Charges|
|Stock Delivery (Equity)||2.5% or Rs. 20 per order whichever is lower|
|Equity Intraday||Rs. 20 per executed order or 0.05% (whichever is lower)|
|Equity/Currency/Commodity Futures||Rs. 20 per executed order or 0.05% (whichever is lower)|
|Equity/Currency/Commodity Options||Rs. 20 per executed order|
#2. Other Charges
|Account opening fee||Zero|
|Account maintenance fee (Annual)||Rs. 150|
|Depository (DP) Charges for selling the holdings||Rs. 18.5|
|Auto square-off charges||Rs. 50 per order|
|Call and trade charges||Rs. 20 per order|
|Pledging/Unpledging Charges||Rs. 50|
Margin in Upstox
#1. Upstox 3-in-1 Account
Upstox has collaborated with IndusInd bank to offer a 3-in-1 account that allows you to open savings, demat and trading accounts in one place.
With Industox (IndusInd+Upstox) 3-in-1 account you not only get a zero balance savings account but also earn interest on the funds allocated from your savings a/c for trading purposes.
Funds movement from the savings account to the trading account and vice versa is also quick and hassle-free.
#2. Margin Trading Facility
Upstox’s Margin Trading Facility allows you to trade with just 50% of your deposited funds and borrow the remaining 50% from Upstox.
For example, if you have Rs.50,000 in your Upstox wallet, you can buy shares worth up to Rs. 100,000 if you activate MTF.
In Upstox, MTF is fixed at 50% of the transaction value and you can’t change that.
Upstox MTF features –
- You can buy additional shares even with just 50% of your funds.
- You can borrow up to Rs. 5 lakhs under MTF in Upstox
- You can hold stocks for 150 days under MTF
- Profit or loss in MTF is 2x than normal trading
Upstox MTF charges
- You have to pay Rs.20 per day for every Rs. 50,000 borrowed which is separate from the brokerage.
- Pledging and Unpledging charges are Rs. 50 per stock
Pledging of shares means taking loans against your holdings. An investor uses his holdings as collateral with his broker to avail of a loan for trading when his funds are limited.
If you have pledged shares, you have to unpledged first before selling them.
#3. Upstox GTT Orders (GOOD-TILL-TRIGGERED)
GTT is an order facility in Upstox that automates the buying and selling of shares if the described conditions are met.
All you have to do is define your buy or sell price, mention your profit target, as well as the loss you can bear and create a GTT.
As soon as your mentioned target price gets triggered, your order will be placed automatically and you’ll get the notification.
Every GTT order has an expiration date –
- Intraday GTT order – Valid till that day
- F&O GTT order – Valid till the expiry of the contract
- Equity delivery GTT order – Valid for one year from the date of order
#4. Readymade Options Strategies
Upstox has introduced a new feature that allows you to utilize pre-defined strategies for options trading in NIFTY and BANKNIFTY.
All you have to do is input the market trend (whether the market is going up, down or sideways) and you’ll get 3 to 5 options strategies to select from.
You can also choose between high-risk or low-risk strategies based on your risk appetite.
Key features of readymade options strategies are –
- Probability of profit or loss
- Insights on fund requirements
- Pay-off graph to know the potential outcomes of a strategy
- Place and track multi-leg orders
- Group trades – to enter and exit
How to use readymade options strategies
- Open NIFTY or BankNifty Index
- Predict the market direction (bullish, bearish, volatile or neutral)
- Choose the expiry you want to trade (weekly or monthly)
- Get a list of Ready-made Option Strategies
Upstox Trading Platform Review
Upstox pro web trading platform is pretty easy with all the standard features. Upstox trading platform is fast and stable making trading a comfortable affair.
With Upstox Pro, you get two charting libraries –
- ChartIQ (by default).
You can switch between both as per your choice.
You can integrate technical indicators such as Bollinger Bands, EMA, MACD, Fibonacci, and many more with the click of a button. You can also access drawing tools such as trendlines to analyse the direction of price movements on a Chart.
Upstox Pro Web also offers two important features for a seamless trading experience.
- Basket Orders – Upstox also offers a Basket Orders facility that allows you to place multiple orders of the same or different sectors at once.
- Modify OCO orders – UpstoxPro Web also allows you to modify your bracket orders all at once through the positions tab making trading more flexible.
Upstox has drastically improved the trading platform making it more efficient and user-friendly.
Upstox Mobile App Review
The Upstox mobile trading app helps you manage and track your investments wherever you are at any time. The Upstox app is available with a wide range of devices like iPhones, iPads and Android smartphones.
With key financial features like real-time quotes, morning market news, GTT orders, and advanced charting, you can stay updated on the go, without being stuck to your desktop.
You can add or withdraw funds, execute trades, track your positions, and receive real-time push notifications on your smartphone.
If you are an Apple user, you can use Touch and Face ID for biometric authentication to conveniently log into your trading account without having to remember passwords. Android users can set fingerprint scanners as biometric authentication.
Active traders may greatly appreciate the GTT option to automate trades by setting required parameters. You can take advantage of this unique feature with real-time price alerts on your mobile device.
In case you are a beginner, you can start your investment journey in mutual funds with as little as Rs. 500. This will not only allow you to start with a diversified portfolio on a low budget, but you can also do it anytime and anywhere from your smartphone.
You can also go through our list of best trading apps in India for a detailed comparison of the top trading apps available.
Upstox Customer Care
- Account opening – Contact on +91-22-6130-9999 or [email protected]
- For trading issues – Contact any of 022 4179 2999, 022 6904 2299, 022 7130 9999 or raise a ticket using this link.
Upstox Vs Zerodha
Upstox and Zerodha are the key competitors in the discount brokerage industry. We have compared both brokers in the table below –
|Equity Delivery||Paid at 2.5% or Rs. 20 per order (whichever is lower)||Free|
|Brokerage Charges||0.05% or Rs. 20 per order (whichever is lower)||0.03% or Rs. 20 per order (whichever is lower)|
|3-in-1 account||Available with IndusInd bank||Not Available|
|Margin Trading Facility (MTF)||Available at 50% Margin||Not Available|
|Mutual Funds Investment||Within the Upstox App||Coin App|
|Morning Market Newsletter||Yes||No|
You can also read our detailed Zerodha Review to learn more about Zerodha demat account.
Upstox Review – The Verdict
If you’re a beginner looking to start Intraday, MTF or options trading, then Upstox can be a great option. Upstox also provides heaps of stocks, mutual funds, and options trades, as well as in-depth learning resources and technical tools.
However, we found that Zerodha allows you free equity delivery making stock investment a more cost-effective affair if you are into a long-term investing journey.
#1. Is Upstox better than Zerodha?
Upstox is better than Zerodha in terms of margin trading, and options trading because Upstox offers a 2x margin on stock delivery trading under MTF. Upstox also provides readymade options trading strategies which can be useful for newcomers.
Zerodha is better in terms of long-term investment where you can enjoy the benefits of free equity delivery.
#2. Can I Trust Upstox?
Yes. Upstox is a SEBI registered broker. Upstox is also funded by Ratan Tata and Tiger Global which adds trust.
#3. Where to Find Upstox Client Id?
You can find Upstox Client ID in the “Profile” section of the “Accounts” tab in your dashboard.
#4. When will Upstox Global Investment Start?
Upstox announced about global investment platform in 2020 but still hasn’t disclosed anything further about starting the same.
#5. Who Owns Upstox?
Upstox is owned by Ravi Kumar (Co-founder & CEO), Kavitha Subramanian (Co-founder) and Shrini Viswanath (Co-founder).